8.26.2011

Awful Birthday Cake

So my husbands birthday was this past month. I made the WORST birthday cake in the entire world. I wanted to do an ice cream cake since my husband isn't a big fan of just cake on it's own. Well, I realize my mistake. The whole process is supposed to take about 2 days to complete. However, having a baby and no time to do anything ever, I decided I wanted to do it all in one morning. 

Love these but they are NOT mine (and I wish they were):

Look how perfect these layers are!!
I fell in love with this one when I saw it
I had to laugh at this one. Me younger sister would LOVE this!
Maybe I'll take that cake decorating class they offer at Michaels. My friend took all of the classes and she makes wonderful cakes!! 

This is my catastrophe

I like confetti cake and so does my hubs, so this was the mix I used. Makes fun cupcakes too! I was disappointed, however, that they changed the sprinkles. They used to have great sprinkles!! matched perfectly with the inside of the cakes. Now they are pastel and longish. 



 I went to a few grocery stores to find strawberry ice cream, but nobody had any! I don't know if they sold out, or what! So, I decided to make my own strawberry ice cream!! I went to the farmers market and got a BUNCH of FRESH strawberry's a couple days before.

If I had to say one good thing about moving to CA, it's the fruit! (except their watermelon)
I had some left over ice cream from when my friend wanted some pie. So I scooped it ALL out and put it inot a bowl. Sliced the strawberries into many pieces and stirred till the ice cream was pinkish. It was pretty yummy! I thought everything was going so well at this point!



Yum! My husband loved this!
Oh, I forgot, while I was mixing the cake was baking in the oven. Once I finished mixing the ice cream, i put it in my 8x8 baking dish, covered it with foil and stuck it in the freezer to harden. I did the same with the cake.


My mistake was that I didn't let it cool long enough!!! The cake broke into sooo many little pieces!!

My husband HATES icing. I'm not a big fan, either, but I had to make the stuff stick back together somehow! Talk about a HUGE mess! Well, once, I demolished the cake, I somehow got ice cream shoved inside. I added food coloring to my icing, decorated, threw on some sprinkles ( I was really VERY upset about this) and pecans and threw it back in the freezer. What a nightmare. It finally cooled down. The ice cream no longer dripping out of all the cracks. 

The final product (I'm a little embarrassed to be sharing this)

With Candles Lit

UGGGG-LYYYYY 
My baby shower cake was pretty awesome though, but that's prob because I didn't make it.


No comments:

Post a Comment